The tributes that the residents in a small village in the upper plain of Pordenone used to pay to the Duke of Styria, at the end of the XII century, passed on to the Templar knight and then to the Order of Malta. The soldier monks used the place as a travelling station and as location for stocking and selling goods converging there from the entire right side of Tagliamento. The rituality that marked the gathering of such tributes materialised into a series of cadastres called ‘cabrei’, recording changes in crop and property regime. A comparison between the lots and the current structure of particles shows that the latter has essentially remained unchanged, whereas the system for private land management, landscapes and farming techniques have undergone a dramatic change. Once geo-referenced the 1792 cabreo, a reconstruction of the medieval particles and a comparison with historical cartography allowed us to identify the different agrarian regions defined by late medieval agrarian planning. We turned out with a framework that confirms the existence of a system of masi (traditional rural residences), condensed around a probably pre-existent nucleus with its road system. The village created a poly-focal and informal built environment, surrounded by a system of agrarian regions identified according to the pedologic characters of grounds which were peculiarly dry.
medieval agrarian planning; medieval particles; medieval setting; history of agriculture; medieval landscapes